Listen. My husband is away. For those that don’t know, he is the Assistant Men’s Soccer Coach at Carthage while he works on his master’s degree. Part of the job is going to a trip right at the beginning of the season. He played on the team when we were dating, so I’m used to this. Or, so you would think.
He is my buddy. After I put the kids down to sleep, I look forward to him being around to eat a snack and watch How I Met Your Mother.
Since he’s been gone, I’ve been running every morning for some fresh air and sanity, watching a lot of Chopped and sewing covers for my throw pillows. During the day, I’m in survival mode.
“Let’s all be happy and not cry. None of us. No crying. Okay?”
It doesn’t help that my kids are just in a rough stage right now. Daniel is so alert. I love it. The only problem is he is too nosy and the smallest thing can completely stop the sleep train and leave him wide awake and cranky for hours more. Lila is just a sponge and demands a lot of attention right now. I’m excited to start school for her again so we can channel that energy. We also are grounded. My sweet baby screams in the car, but only 80% of the time. Sometimes, he is just fine. When he is fine, Lila gets upset that her shoes fell off or that she left her rock somewhere.
Anyway, with all of my family at least an hour away, my only and best Kenoshain friend moving away, and my kids going on a sleeping strike, it’s been a pretty rough week. I’ve had some visitors that really helped keep my sanity and break up the week, but I still had some moments where I wondered, “Am I doing something wrong?”
I’ll tell ya. It hasn’t been pretty. It doesn’t help that my hair just grew long enough to put in a stumpy, frumpy, ponytail and I’ve been just going for it. It is so NOT fetch. Somebody stop me.
When Jordan is away, for an evening or a week, one of my secret weapons is Girl Dinner. Girl Dinner is a dinner you can make that you love that your husband would probably call a “side”. You can eat it for lunch and maybe even dinner again the next day. You can make it quite simply and it is normally in the “hippie” category of cuisine. I bake a lot of bread and treats but, mostly, I eat like a rabbit gladiator. So this was right up my ally.
Just go with it. I’m running on fumes.
One of my favorite Girl Dinners is the Roasted Spaghetti Squash. I make it all on one tray, it’s super easy, healthy and I can eat it again the next day.
I actually make it around lunch time so that I don’t have dishes and stuff to deal with at the end of a long day. I just slice and gut the squash, slice a bunch of tomatoes, onions and kale, toss it all with olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper, and just cook it until you feel like it’s done.
What is your favorite meal to make for just yourself? Do you eat cheese and crackers for dinner? Cereal, chips and salsa? I’m pretty good at sessioning a bag of popcorn for dinner and then eating chocolate chips from the pantry. This just helps me avoid getting to that point.
- 1 spaghetti squashed halved with seeds removed
- 2 cups sliced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped Kale
- 1 chopped onion
- olive oil
- oregano, thyme, sage (about 2 tsp each)
- 2 Tbs pesto (optional)
- Rub the olive oil, S&P and pesto (or herbs) all over the flesh of the squash.
- Toss the kale and onion in olive oil and S&P and stuff it in the squash.
- Toss the tomatoes in olive oil, S&P and herbs and arrange all around the outside of the squash
- Bake for 30 min and then flip the squash so the kale and onions can toast up a bit it should cook for about 20-30 more min. It's done when you can stick a fork in the squash and pull it out easily.
- Scrape the squash out into a bowl and add the veggie toppings.
- You can add more pesto, serve it over quinoa, just eat it the way you like it.
- I love to reheat it in a skillet the next day, put an egg on it and give it a dash of rooster sauce to enjoy it for lunch.